Considering of installing A GPS tracker on your bike and wondering how t do it and where to place it?
In this article I will help you with it!
Bikes are different from Cars as they don’t come with any additional protection and they are often the easy target of thieves.
Luckily, you can always use a good GPS tracker on your bike which will allow you to monitor the location of your bike and if it gets stolen you can easily recover it. In this guide, you will learn how to install the GPS Tracker on a bike.
Here is an article on my website that you must read, its about the 7 Best Hunting Dog GPS Trackers | 2023 Updated Review.
You will also learn the various benefits of installing GPS Tracker and which things you must consider when picking one. Let’s get started.
What Is A GPS Tracker?
If you already know about the GPS Tracker then you can skip this section. In this section, you will learn what a GPS Tracker is.
GPS is a Global Positioning System that was once a classified military project but now we get in our smartphones, laptops and other gadgets.
GPS Tracker is a device that allows you to track the object with the help of a Global Positioning System (GPS).
What Are The Benefits Of Installing GPS Tracker On Your Bike?
There are many benefits of using the GPS Tracker on your Bike. The following are some of the benefits.
- The biggest advantage is peace of mind. If your bike has the GPS Tracker then you will know that your bike is safe and you can leave it for hours and you can use the app to keep a check on your app.
- If your bike gets stolen then you can ask the law enforcement agencies to track your bike with the help of GPS. They will be able to track the bike and recover it.
- Some GPS Trackers also come with the real-time burglar alarm which sends you the push notifications soon as it detects the vibration on the bike.
What Are The Limitations Of GPS Tracker?
Just like any other technology, GPS Tracker also has its limitations. The following are some of the limitations of GPS Tracker.
- The biggest limitation of GPS Tracker is that it can be disabled. If the skilled thief tries to steal your bike the first thing he will look for is the GPS Tracker. If he find any then he would disable it first and hence, you will be unable to track your bike.
- The second limitation is not about the GPS Tracker but it is about GPS Technology itself. GPS Technology has improved a lot over the years but still, its accuracy can be compromised by various factors. For example, cloudy weather, rain, mountains, forests, and tall buildings can affect the strength of the GPS Signal.
How To Pick The Right GPS Tracker For Your Bike?
Picking the right GPS Tracker can be tricky and you should consider the following factors when picking the right GPS tracker.
- The most important factor you should consider is the accuracy of the GPS Tracker. Not all GPS Trackers are built equal, some of them are better than others and you would want to get the better one. You can find out the accuracy by reading the users’ reviews and online reviews to check if the GPS Tracker is accurate or not.
- The next factor you should consider is frequency. Some GPS trackers update the latest information every 2 minutes while some of them update the location every 5 seconds. You should get the GPS latest which should have a great frequency of updating the location. If you are on a tight budget then you can get a GPS tracker that gets the updated location every 1 minute.
- You should also ensure that the GPS Tracker you pick should be sturdy enough to be used on Bikes.
- If you are getting the GPS Tracker for your bicycle then you would want a GPS Tracker with a self-power option, meaning with its own battery as bicycles don’t come with a battery. If you are picking it for your motorbike then you can get the GPS Tracker with the wire and connect it to your bike’s battery.
- The GPS must be hidden and invisible so the burglar won’t disable it.
- A dedicated app – the tracker must come with an easy-to-use dedicated app and you should check that it is compatible with your device.
How To Install a GPS Tracker On A Bike?
The installation process of GPS Tracker varies from the tracker to the tracker. If you are installing it on your bicycle then the installation process is fairly simple. Here’s how you will do it.
- Get the self-power GPS Tracker
- Find a spot to install the GPS Tracker. The ideal position would be under the seat or the Handlebar(see images) where you can easily place the battery in but you can also install it anywhere you want.
- Install it by adding a sim card and proper wiring.
If you are installing the GPS Tracker on your Motorcycle then the process can get a bit complicated. If you haven’t done it before then we would recommend you take the services of a mechanic to install it.
Like I have mentioned, there are self-powered GPS trackers that don’t require any wiring, you can just throw them under the seat storage and you are good to go. The LandAirSea 54 is an example of a popular GPS tracker that doesn’t require any wiring.
Also, if you have bought the subscription-based GPS Tracker then you should contact the certified mechanic to install it. If you have done similar work in the past then you can follow these steps to install the GPS tracker on your motorcycle.
- Find the right spot to install the GPS Tracker. Motorcycles come with small gaps in the frame where you can put the GPS Tracker.
- Once you find the right spot, you can proceed to installation.
- Start with the wiring and follow the wiring principle. Don’t connect the positive and negative poles of the tracker directly with the battery. Connect the tracker with the neutral cable and then live wire of the battery.
- Once the wires are connected, perform the function test to ensure that it is working properly.
- That’s it.
We hope that you will find our guide useful. You can easily find the right GPS tracker by using the guidelines we mentioned in the Article.
Also, if you don’t have any prior experience and you have bought an expensive GPS Tracker then we would strongly recommend you take the services of professionals to install it.
If you have any questions, please let us know in the comment section below. Also, visit our website for more useful guides.
Here is an article on my website that you must read, its about the Best Military Watch With GPS And A Built-In Compass Of 2023.
As a professional trainer and a gadget lover, I’ve spent a lot of money and time buying wearable activity trackers, smartwatches, and gadgets, and checking them out. My site is focused on helping you with your activity tracking and smart technology journey. I try to provide the most helpful updated content on this subject. Hopefully, you will love my blogs and be a regular around here.