Apple Watch uses the standard Bluetooth and cellular connection for connectivity. So, if you are wondering how far can Apple watch be from iPhone and remain connected, then you are in the right place.
In this guide, I will discuss the range for Bluetooth and cellular connections on Apple Watch. Let’s get started.
When it comes to Bluetooth Connections on Apple Watch, the watch can remain connected with iPhone for up to 70 feet depending on the version of the Bluetooth and Obstacles. When it comes to a cellular connection, the range mainly depends on the coverage of your network carrier, and it varies from carrier to carrier. Let’s take a closer look at what it means and which carriers are the best for you according to your location.
How far can the Apple watch be from iPhone and remain connected via Bluetooth Connections?
Bluetooth connection is the main connection that Apple watch uses to stay connected with the iPhone and share any data. Over the years, the range of Bluetooth has increased a lot, and the range of Bluetooth mainly depends on two factors: The version of Bluetooth and the Factors that affect Bluetooth.
Let’s start with the versions of Bluetooth because it’s the main factor which will determine how far can apple watch be from iPhone and remain connected.
Bluetooth comes in different versions, such as Bluetooth 5.0, Bluetooth 4.2, and others. Apple watches also have different versions of the Bluetooth chips, which mainly determines the connection range of these watches.
Let’s take a closer look at the different Bluetooth versions of the Apple watch and their ranges.
- Apple Watch Series 1 – Apple Watch Series 1 is the earliest edition of the Apple Watch, and it comes with Bluetooth 4.0 that offers the range of 50 meters indoor and around 100 meters outdoors.
- Apple Watch Series 2 – Series 2 also comes with Bluetooth 4.0, and the Apple Watch Series 2 can stay connected with iPhone for up to 50 meters indoor and 100 meters outdoor.
- Apple Watch Series 3 – Series 3 comes with the upgraded Bluetooth 4.2 chip, which has a connection range of 50 meters indoors and around 100 meters outdoors.
- Apple Watch Series 4 – Series 4 comes with the powerful Bluetooth 5.0 chip, which offers the indoor range of 400 meters and an outdoor range of 1000 meters.
- Apple Watch Series 5 – Series 5 also comes with Bluetooth 5.0 chip, and just like Series 4, Apple Watch Series 5 also has an indoor range of 400 meters and an outdoor range of 1000 meters.
Now that you know the Bluetooth connection range of the different models of Apple watch let’s take a brief look at the factors that affect the range of Bluetooth. The connection ranges I described above are approximate, and it can vary depending on the following factors.
- If you are using your apple watch in an apartment with a lot of walls, then the connection range can get shorter due to a lot of obstacles.
- Similarly, if you are outdoor and you have a lot of people around and other obstacles such as trees, carts then the Bluetooth range can also get affected.
- Also, if you are in an area with a lot of electronic devices, then the signals could get affected due to electromagnetic waves.
How far can the Apple watch be from iPhone and remain connected via Cellular Connection?
When it comes to a cellular connection, it offers the best range as compared to Bluetooth connections.
Now, the connection range you get will mainly depend on the carrier you pick and its coverage area.
So, let’s first look at the network carriers that support the Data Plan for Apple watch, and then I will explain the coverage area of supported network carriers.
Following carriers supports the Data Plan for the Apple Watch
- C Spire
- Sprint Wireless
- T-Mobile USA
- US Cellular
- Verizon Wireless
When it comes to US Network carriers, there are 4 major network carriers which we will discuss today. Let’s get started.
- Verizon Wireless – Verizon is one of the major network carriers in the US, and it offers the best coverage across the US. The Network covers over 70% of the United States with its 4G Service, and its 3G Service covers 62% of the country, which is pretty remarkable.
- T-Mobile USA – T-Mobile is another major carrier in the US, and the company covers 62% of the United States with its 4G Network and covers 21% of the country with its 3G Network.
- AT&T – AT&T is another very popular network carrier that supports the Apple watch Data Plans. The Network covers over 68% of the country with its 4G Network and 70% of the country with its 3G Network.
- Sprint Wireless – Sprint is 4th major network carrier in the US, but it’s not as impressive as the other carriers on this list. The Network only covers 30% of the United States with its 4G Service and 25% of the country with its 3G Service.
These are the coverage of major carriers in the US, and you can check the details of coverage on the official sites of your network carrier. You can also find the coverage maps of other network carriers on their official sites as well, and then you can make an informed decision.
Does Apple Watch Automatically switch between the Cellular and Bluetooth Connections?
The cellular connection is good, but it also uses a lot of power as well.
That’s why Apple watch uses the cellular connection only when the Bluetooth connection is not available.
So, if a Bluetooth connection is available, the Apple watch will always give priority to Bluetooth connection to save the battery.
That’s all, folks. Now you know how far Apple Watch can be from iPhone and remain connected. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment section below. Also, visit the website for more useful guides.
As a professional trainer and a gadget lover, I’ve spent a lot of money and time buying wearable activity trackers, smartwatches, and gadgets, and checking them out. My site is focused on helping you with your activity tracking and smart technology journey. I try to provide the most helpful updated content on this subject. Hopefully, you will love my blogs and be a regular around here.