Apple Watch is arguably one of the best smartwatches, and it comes with tons of great features. But Can I call my Apple Watch my iPhone? Let’s find out.
Apple Watch surely comes with tons of great feature which allow us to track our activities, heart-rate, steps, and many more. But, today’s question is: Can I Call my Apple watch from my iPhone?
Yes, it’s possible if you have the cellular version of the Apple watch.
There are also some other ways as well, which you can use to make calls. Let’s take a closer look.
Here is an article on my website that you must read, its about Apple Watch Unable to Check or Stuck on Update? Here’s what to do!
Table of Contents
Can I Call My Apple Watch From My iPhone?
Yes, you can use your Apple watch to make or receive calls provided that you have the cellular version of the Apple watch.
If you have the Cellular version you will be able to add a SIM with a different number than the one on your iPhone, then you will need to activate a cellular plan. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Apple Watch App on your iPhone.
- Tap “My Watch” tab
- Then tap “cellular.”
- Now tap “Set up cellular” or “Set up a new plan.”
- Follow the instructions and complete the setup.
Once you complete the setup option, you will be able to make or receive calls directly from your Apple watch.
Also, if you are unable to configure your data plan and having any trouble, then make sure to check the Data Plan Configuration Guide on Apple Watch, where I have discussed this topic in detail.
Can I Call My Paired iPhone Using Apple Watch?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to call your paired iPhone using your Apple watch unless you have the Apple watch’s cellular version.
However, if you have lost your iPhone, you can use the Apple Watch to ping the iPhone, forcing the iPhone to ring.
So, you can use the Apple Watch to ping the paired iPhone, but you cannot use it to make calls unless you have the cellular version of the Apple watch.
How To Make Calls Using The Apple Watch?
If your Apple Watch is connected to your iPhone, then you can use it to make the phone calls. Here’s how you can do it.
- Turn on the Display of your Apple watch
- Now open the phone app on it.
- Tap contacts and now use the Digital Crown to scroll.
- Select the contact you want to call and tap the phone button. If you want to do the FaceTime audio call, then simply tap FaceTime, or you can call via phone number.
- If you want to dial the phone number, then tap the “Phone” app.
- Now tap keypad and start dialing the number.
- Once you type the number, tap the “three horizontal dots” icon and tap the keypad button.
- That’s it.
That’s how you can make calls using your Apple watch if it is connected to your iPhone. If it’s not connected, then you can use the Wi-Fi Calling feature, which I have discussed in the next section.
How To Make Calls Over Wi-Fi Using Apple Watch?
Now, if you want to make calls over Wi-Fi using your Apple watch, then the first condition is that your network carrier should support the Wi-Fi Calling facility.
If it does support the Wi-Fi Calling facility, then you make calls using your Apple Watch even if it is not connected to your iPhone. However, it has to be in the range of the Wi-Fi to function properly.
So, If you are interested in making calls over Wi-Fi using your Apple Watch, then you will need to Enable the Wi-Fi Calling feature. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open your iPhone
- Go to the Settings
- Now tap Phone
- Tap Wi-Fi Calling
- Enable the “Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone.”
- Scroll down and enable the “Add Wi-Fi Calling for Other Devices.”
- In this section, enable the Wi-Fi Calling for your Apple Watch. You can also enable it for your iPad, Mac as well.
Now you have enabled the Wi-Fi Calling for your Apple Watch, you can use it to make calls. Here’s how you can do it.
- The first step is to ensure that you are connected to Wi-Fi, and you are in the range
- Now open the phone app on your Apple Watch.
- Tap contacts and now use the digital crown to scroll.
- Now tap on the contact which you want to call
- Here you can tap the phone number you want to call. Alternatively, you can also tap the FaceTime address as well.
You can only use this feature to make the emergency Calls, and Apple also recommends to use the cellular connection for calls instead of Wi-Fi. However, you can enable this feature and use it to make calls in an emergency.
How To Remove The Wi-Fi Calling Feature From Apple Watch?
If you don’t wish to use the Wi-Fi Calling feature and you want to remove it from your Apple watch or any other device such as iPad or Mac, then you can use the following steps.
- Open the Settings of your iPhone
- Find the “Phone” section and tap it.
- Now find “Wi-Fi Calling” and tap it.
- Scroll down and tap “Add Wi-Fi Calling for Other Devices.”
- Here you can disable the Wi-Fi Calling for Apple Watch by toggling the button to grey.
- That’s it.
Can Apple Watch Stay Connected To iPhone Without Bluetooth?
Usually, Apple Watch uses Bluetooth to stay connected with the iPhone. But if it lost the Bluetooth connection, then it can switch to the cellular connection provided that you have the LTE version of the Apple watch.
If you just have the Bluetooth version, then the Apple watch cannot stay connected without Bluetooth, and as soon as it goes out of the range, then the watch will be disconnected.
That’s all, folks. You can use the Apple watch to make or receive calls only if you have an Apple watch’s cellular version.
However, if you have the Bluetooth version and your network carrier supports the Wi-Fi Calling feature, you can use it to make calls to the other numbers.
If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment section below. Also, feel free to browse the website for more guides.
As a professional trainer and a gadget lover, I’ve spent a lot of money and time buying wearable activity trackers, smartwatches, and gadgets, and checking them out. My site is focused on helping you with your activity tracking and smart technology journey. I try to provide the most helpful updated content on this subject. Hopefully, you will love my blogs and be a regular around here.