A proper data plan makes your apple watch using more convenient. Different telecom operators have different data plans. So, you may get stuck.
To keep you hassle-free, we have brought different aspects in this article that you must know before you set up a data plan for your apple watch. Our checklist will surely be your ultimate resource in this regard.
Here is a related article that might intrest you on the Best Apple Watch Running Apps For Intervals & Splits.
In this guide, I will tell you everything you need to know about configuring the data plan on Apple Watch. Let’s get started.
Not all Apple Watches are made equal; some of them come with support for Cellular connection.
So, if you have the cellular Model of Apple Watch and you are unable to configure Data Plan on your apple watch, then I can help.
Checklist Before Configuring The Data Plan On Apple Watch
Before you proceed to configure the Data Plan on your Apple Watch, you need to check certain things to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Here is the thing which you should check.
- The first thing you need to do is to ensure that you have the latest Software version on both Apple Watch and the iPhone.
- You also have to make sure that you have the cellular version of the watch. If you have the Bluetooth version, you cannot configure the Data plan or use it.
- The next thing you should ensure is that you have updated the carrier settings. Go to the Settings > General > About. In this section, you will see the option to update if any update is available.
- Now, the next thing you need to ensure that your carrier is the supported carrier for the watch. In the US, AT&T, C Spire, Sprint Wireless, Verizon Wireless, US Cellular, Appalachian, and Xfinity are supported carriers. If you have the Data plan from these carriers, then you are good to proceed.
How To Set Up Your Data Plan On Apple Watch?
Now you are all set to set up the Data Plan on your Apple Watch. Here’s how you can do it.
- Turn on your iPhone
- Open the Apple Watch App on your iPhone
- Tap “My Watch Tab.”
- Now tap “Cellular” and then tap “Set up Cellular.”
- The iPhone will start the process of setting up the data plan, and now you will need to follow the instructions.
- That’s it.
How To Connect The Apple Watch To The Cellular Network?
Once you complete the set up process, you can connect the Apple Watch. Apple watch automatically switch to the most suitable wireless network depending on the availability of the network. It switches between the Bluetooth connection, Wi-Fi, or cellular.
When the Apple watch uses the cellular option, it uses the LTE, but if it’s not available, then it can connect to UMTS provided that your cellular carrier supports the UMTS. When the watch is connected to a cellular network, the cellular button will turn green, and it will turn white when the cellular plan is active but not connected.
Unable To Configure Data Plan On Apple Watch With Vodafone?
If you are unable to configure the Data Plan on Apple Watch with Vodafone, then there could be two reasons here. The first and very likely reason could be that your Apple Watch is not compatible with the Vodafone network.
The quick way to do so is to check the Model number of your Apple watch. If you have Apple Watch Series 5 (Model A2094 and A2095) or Apple Watch Series 3 (Model A1860 or A1861), then it won’t work with the Vodafone, and you can only connect it to North American Carriers.
However, if you have Apple Watch Series 5 (Model A2156 and A2157) and Apple Watch Series 3 (Model A1889 and A1891), then your watch is compatible with the Vodafone. Now that it’s confirmed that your watch’s model is compatible try restarting your Apple watch. Here’s how you can restart your Apple watch.
- Tap on the screen to turn on the display
- Now hold the side button and keep holding it until you see the three sliders on display.
- Tap “power off,” and the watch will shut down.
- Now hold the side button again and keep holding it until the Apple logo appears.
Now try again, and if the issue still persists, then the problem is not at your end, and it’s at Vodafone’s end. I would recommend you wait for around 24 hours as there’s a possibility that the issue gets fixed during this duration. If the network still doesn’t connect, then you can contact the customer support, and they will help you with it.
Apple Watch Cellular Not Working? Here’s What To Do!
If the Apple Watch Cellular is not working, then there could be many issues. So, in this section, I will explain the different fixes which can potentially solve this issue for you.
Make Sure That Your Network Carrier Supports The Cellular Plan For Apple Watch
If the cellular is not working on your Apple Watch, then it could be due to the reason that cellular carrier doesn’t support the cellular plan for Apple watch. In the US, AT&T, C Spire, Sprint Wireless, Verizon Wireless, US Cellular, Appalachian, and Xfinity are supported carriers.
Update the WearOS
Another possible reason for cellular not working on your Apple watch could be outdated software. Just check the updates and if any updates available, install them and check again if the issue is still there.
Check The Updates To Carrier Settings
Network carriers sometimes release the new settings updates, and without applying the new settings, your watch cannot connect with the network.
So, the quick way to check it out is to go to Settings > General > About. If there is any new update available, you will find it in the About section.
Check your Data Plan
Another possible reason could be that you have run out of your data plan. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap My Watch Tab, and then tap cellular. Now scroll down and check the cellular data usage. If you have run out of your data plan, simply pay for it, and it will start working.
Turn on and off the Airplane Mode
Before we try our final trick, you can use this handy trick, which works well in many cases. Just turn on the Airplane mode on your apple watch and then turn it off. Here’s how you can do it.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the display
- Find the Airplane icon and tap it. It will turn on the Airplane mode.
- Now wait for few seconds and tap it again to turn it off.
Now try again, and if the problem still persists, then you can simply use the next trick.
Remove The Cellular Plan And Re-add It
If you have used the above fixes, but the problem is still there, then you can use this trick. In this method, you will remove the Cellular plan and then re-add it. Here’s how you can remove it.
- Turn on your iPhone
- Open the Apple Watch App on your iPhone
- Tap “My Watch” tab
- Now tap “cellular.”
- Tap the “I” icon, which is right next to the title of your network.
- Tap “Remove (name of your network carrier) Plan.”
- That’s it.
Now re-add the cellular plan and follow the steps explained in “How to set up the Data Plan on Apple Watch.”
Once you have set up the cellular plan on your Apple watch and if the issue is still there, then there is no issue at your end. In this scenario, contact the customer support of your carrier and explain the process, and they will guide you further.
If you have read down to this section, I hope that this guide helped you solve the problem. If you are still experiencing configuration issues, then you should contact the customer support of your carrier for help because by using the above methods, you have done everything in your power.
If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment section below. Also, if you are interested in using Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, and you are wondering if it is safe or not? Then you can read this guide on this website.