NFC Payment systems are quite popular these days because they are more convenient than regular payment systems.
On top of that, they are also more robust and secure because they use advanced validation systems which allow you to make the payment safely without exposing your banking details.
If you are also impressed by NFC Payment systems and want to get a smartwatch with a built-in NFC Payment feature, this guide is for you.
Also, To make your contactless payment safer, make sure to read my guide: Security & Privacy Threats To NFC In 2024 | How To Make It Safer?
In this WearToTrack guide, I’ll share the top 10 smartwatches with NFC Payment in 2024. So, let’s get into it.
Table of Contents
How To Choose The Right Smartwatch With NFC Payment?
In 2023, we have tons of great feature-rich smartwatches available that come with built-in NFC Payment systems but the question is: how to choose the right one? In this section, I’ll share the things which you should consider when buying a smartwatch with NFC Payment.
NFC-Supported Regions & Banks:
The main thing you should consider is which NFC contactless payment system you want. Luckily, all major smartwatch companies have their own NFC Payment systems.
Apple Watch has Apple Pay, Samsung has Samsung Pay, Garmin has Garmin Pay, Google has Google Pay and Fitbit has Fitbit Pay. When it comes to availability, most of them work almost everywhere but systems such as Apple Pay are available in selected regions such as US, and Europe.
So, before you choose your next smartwatch with NFC Payment, please make sure that its respective payment system is available in your country.
- Apple Pay is available in the US, Europe, South Africa, and other major regions. You can check the complete list of supported regions here.
- Fitbit Pay is available in all major regions including the US, UK, UAE, and other countries. You can check the complete list of supported regions here.
- Google Pay is available in the US, UK, Australia, Austria, Germany, and other major regions. Please check the complete list of supported regions here.
- Samsung Pay is currently available in limited countries including the US, Canada, UAE, Sweden, and Switzerland. You can check the complete list of supported countries here.
- Garmin Pay is the default NFC payment system on Garmin smartwatches and it’s available in countries such as the US, UK, Canada, Greece, and UAE. You can check the complete list of supported countries and banks here.
Before you choose your NFC Smartwatch, it’s important you also make sure that your Phone is compatible with your smartwatch.
Apple Watches (Apple Pay) only works with iPhones and you can’t use them on Android.
Similarly, Wear OS (Google Pay) smartwatches can’t be connected to iPhones and they will only work with Android Smartphones.
So, before you make up your mind, ensure that your selected smartwatch and NFC Payment system are compatible with your smartphone.
Top 10 Smartwatches With NFC Payment Feature
NFC Payment methods are so popular that half of the US population uses these payment systems and this number is destined to grow more in the coming years.
As the popularity of contactless payment systems is on the rise, we are seeing more and more smartwatches coming with built-in NFC Payment systems.
So, I’ve done my research and after extensive research, I’ve picked the 10 best smartwatches with NFC Payments in 2024.
I haven’t added Smartwatches from Xiaomi And Amazfit since I have dedicated a different post for Xiaomi And Amazfit Watches With NFC In 2024. So If you are A Xiaomi and Amazfit fan, definitely check this post out.
1. Apple Watch Series 8
|Apple Watch Series 8
|41mm S/M – fits 130–180mm wrists
Apple Pay is one of the most popular and secure contactless payment systems and it’s available exclusively on Apple devices including Apple Watch. The Apple Watch 8 is the newest smartwatch by Apple and it’s arguably one of the best smartwatches with an NFC Payment feature in 2023.
Apple Pay works flawlessly on Apple Watch Series 8 and you can easily make payments on supported terminals using your smartwatch. All you will have to do is to place your Apple Watch near the NFC Terminal and enter the passcode to approve the transaction.
In terms of features, Apple Watch Series 8 is as good as any modern smartwatch out there. From ECG to crash detection, Apple Watch 8 is equipped with all the great features which you find on modern smartwatches these days.
So, if you are an iPhone user and you want a smartwatch with a robust NFC payment system, you can’t go wrong with the Apple Watch Series 8.
2. Samsung Galaxy Watch 5
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 is the latest offering by Samsung in the Samsung Galaxy Watch lineup and it’s also the best smartwatch by Samsung you can buy in 2023.
Like other Samsung smartwatches, Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 comes with a built-in Samsung Pay system which means that you can use your Galaxy Watch 5 for contactless payments.
Since Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 is a Wear OS 3 Smartwatch, it also comes with support for Google Pay and it’s one of the very few smartwatches that comes with built-in support for two contactless payment systems.
In terms of features, Galaxy Watch 5 is as good as Apple Watch 8 and any other latest smartwatches available in 2023. It offers features such as ECG, Fall Detection, Activity monitoring, sleep tracking, stress tracking, workout tracking, advanced Bio Sensor, and heart rate monitoring.
So, if you are looking for a smartwatch with two NFC Payment methods, you should consider Samsung Galaxy Watch 5.
3. Fitbit Sense 2
Fitbit Sense 2 is another popular smartwatch that comes with a built-in NFC Payment system. In Fitbit Sense 2, you get the company’s very own Fitbit Pay system which you can use to make purchases using Sense 2.
When it comes to features, Fitbit Sense 2 is better than any other Fitbit out there. It comes with advanced sensors which can keep track of your skin temperature. Also, it uses the same sensors for advanced stress monitoring which will help you keep track of your stress levels.
Sense 2 also comes with other advanced health and fitness features such as ECG, Active Zone Minutes, fall detection, heart-rate monitoring, and over 40 exercise modes.
So, if you are looking for an advanced Fitbit smartwatch with NFC Payments support and great features, you can’t go wrong with Fitbit Sense 2.
4. Fitbit Versa 4
If you don’t want to spend a lot of money and you want a good Fitbit smartwatch under $200 with Fitbit Pay, you can consider Versa 4.
In terms of design, the Fitbit Versa 4 is identical to Sense 2 but on the inside, some advanced features such as a skin temperature sensor and ECG are missing.
However, it comes with all the other regular features such as heart-rate monitoring, workout tracking, sleep tracking, stress tracking, and a step counter.
So, if you are on a budget and you want a good Fitbit Smartwatch with an NFC Payment feature, you should consider Fitbit Versa 4.
5. Apple Watch Ultra
|Apple Watch Ultra
|Activity Tracker, Heart Rate Monitor, Sleep Monitor, Blood Oxygen
Apple Watch Ultra is the newest member of the Apple Watch family and as the name suggests, this Apple Watch comes with an ultra set of features. From build quality to the features, Apple has ramped up everything to make the Apple Watch more desirable for premium users.
Like other Apple Watches, Apple Watch Ultra also comes with built-in support for Apple Pay which means that you can use your Apple Watch Ultra to pay for your purchases in various countries.
In terms of build quality, the Apple Watch Ultra is more durable than any other Apple Watch out there. It comes with a durable titanium case and sapphire crystal to protect the display.
On the inside, you get a wide range of special features along with regular features such as ECG, dual speakers, dual GPS Antenna, Siren, ultra-long battery life of 36 hours, and many other great features.
So, if you have a good budget and you want a premium Apple Watch with tons of features, you should consider Apple Watch Ultra.
6. Google Pixel Watch
|Contactless Payments, Notifications, SOS Button, Music Player
Google is certainly late to the smartwatch party but it has finally arrived with the Google Pixel Watch. The Pixel Watch has been launched recently but it has become instantly popular due to its minimalistic design and modern features.
When it comes to design, Pixel Watch comes with a traditional circular design but Google has made it more sleek and modern. On the inside, you get all the good health and fitness features such as ECG, heart-rate monitoring, AFib detection, Emergency SOS, and other great features.
Since Pixel Watch is a Wear OS smartwatch, it also comes with built-in support for the Google Pay system which you can use to pay for your shopping at supported NFC terminals. So, if you are interested in getting a modern Wear OS smartwatch with NFC Payments support, you should consider Google Pixel Watch.
7. Fossil Gen 6
Fossil Gen 6 is one of the best smartwatches with NFC Payment systems in 2023. It’s one of the best smartwatches by Fossil and as it comes with Wear OS, it supports Google Pay by default. You can easily set up Google Pay on Fossil Gen 6 and start paying for your shopping using it.
The smartwatch also offers a lot of great features including an SPO2 Sensor, activity tracking, sleep tracking, workout monitoring, heart-rate monitoring, step counter, and cardio tracking.
The only major feature which is missing in the Fossil Gen 6 is the ECG which is available in all major smartwatches in this price range. So, if it’s not a deal breaker for you, you can consider Fossil Gen 6 because it’s an excellent smartwatch.
8. Garmin Venu 2
|Venu 2, Blue Granite + Passivated
|Activity Tracker , GPS, Sleep Monitor, Stress Tracking, Contactless Payments, Text Messaging, Phone Call, Notifications, Music Playe
Garmin Venu 2 is arguably one of the best smartwatches by Garmin in 2023 and if you are interested in buying a Garmin watch, you should consider this one.
It’s a very well-rounded Garmin smartwatch that comes with a good set of great features. It comes with a Garmin Pay NFC Payment system which will allow you to pay conveniently for your shopping.
Also, it comes with features such as stress monitoring, Pulse Ox, heart-rate monitoring respiration rate, abnormal heart-rate alerts, sleep tracking, hydration, and health snapshot.
In terms of design, Garmin Venu 2 is really good. It comes with a circular design that features a stainless steel bezel with an all-black body. The lineup also comes with Garmin Venu 2 Plus and Garmin 2S smartwatches and both of them are really good. However, in my opinion, Garmin Venu 2 is well-rounded and offers the best value for money.
9. Garmin Forerunner 55
|Forerunner 55, Whitestone
If you have an active lifestyle and you prefer smartwatches with sporty looks, you can consider Garmin Forerunner 55. This smartwatch is designed for runners and it comes with dedicated features which you can use to accurately track your running sessions.
Garmin Forerunner 55 comes with a sporty design and its case is made up of fiber-reinforced polymer which makes it very light yet durable.
On the inside, you get the features such as Garmin Pay which you can use for contactless payments using it. Along with Garmin Pay, you get features such as PacePro which you can use to plan your running sessions and it will provide guidance.
Also, it comes with other regular features including intensity minutes, respiration tracking, workout tracking, heart-rate monitoring, sleep tracking, and more.
Overall, if you want a lightweight Garmin smartwatch with Garmin Pay, you can’t go wrong with Garmin Forerunner 55.
10. Fitbit Charge 5
|Lunar White/Soft Gold
|Heart Rate Monitor, ECG, Notifications, Time Display, Distance Tracker, Daily Workout Memory, Touchscreen
Fitbit Charge 5 is technically not a smartwatch but it’s better than many expensive smartwatches out there. It’s one of the few fitness trackers out there that comes with built-in support for the NFC Payment system and it comes with Fitbit Pay which you can use for your contactless payments.
In terms of features, Fitbit Charge 5 is as good as modern smartwatches because it comes with advanced features. In the Fitbit Charge 5, you get the EDA Sensor which will provide advanced sleep and stress tracking. Also, it comes with ECG, SPO2 Tracking, cardio fitness score, a variety of exercise modes, and more.
If you don’t want to spend your money on a smartwatch and want an advanced fitness tracker with NFC Payment support, you should consider the Fitbit Charge 5.
Pros and Cons of using Smartwatch with NFC for payments
While there are definite advantages to using a smartwatch with NFC for contactless payments, it is also important to consider the potential drawbacks. In this section, we will explore the pros and cons of utilizing a smartwatch with NFC for contactless payments.
- Convenience and Ease of Use: One of the biggest advantages of using a smartwatch with NFC for contactless payments is the convenience it offers. With a simple tap of your wrist, you can complete transactions without the need to reach for your wallet or smartphone. This streamlined process can save time, especially in situations where speed is crucial, such as during rush hour or when you’re in a hurry.
- Increased Security: Smartwatches with NFC payments typically employ advanced security measures, such as tokenization and encryption, to safeguard your financial information. These features help protect against unauthorized access and reduce the risk of fraud compared to traditional payment methods like cash or credit cards. Additionally, the need for physical contact between the smartwatch and the payment terminal adds an extra layer of security, as it reduces the chances of someone intercepting your payment information.
- Wide Acceptance: Contactless payment technology, including NFC, has gained widespread acceptance in many retail stores, restaurants, and public transportation systems. Using a smartwatch with NFC enables you to make payments at a variety of establishments, making it a versatile and convenient payment option.
- Tracking and Budgeting: Some smartwatches with NFC payment capabilities offer additional features that help users track their expenses and budget more effectively. These watches can provide detailed transaction histories and spending summaries, allowing you to monitor your financial activities easily.
- Limited Compatibility: While contactless payment technology has gained popularity, not all establishments and payment terminals support NFC payments. Some retailers may not have the necessary infrastructure to accept payments from smartwatches, which limits the places where you can use this feature. It is important to ensure NFC payment support is available at your preferred locations before relying solely on your smartwatch for payments.
- Battery Life: Utilizing NFC for contactless payments can consume a significant amount of battery power on your smartwatch. The constant communication required during payment transactions may drain the battery faster, which can be inconvenient if you rely heavily on your smartwatch for other functions throughout the day. It is advisable to consider battery life when choosing a smartwatch with NFC payment capability.
- Potential Technical Issues: As with any technology, smartwatches with NFC payments may encounter technical issues or glitches. Connectivity problems, software bugs, or compatibility conflicts with payment terminals could disrupt the payment process, leading to frustration or delays during transactions.
- Security Concerns: While NFC payments offer enhanced security compared to traditional payment methods, there is still a small risk of data breaches or hacking attempts. Although the chances of such incidents are relatively low, it is important to remain vigilant and take necessary precautions, such as enabling security features and regularly updating your smartwatch’s firmware.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
How To Check If NFC Is Working On My Smartwatch?
There are many ways you can use to check if NFC is working on your smartwatch. You can use apps such as NFC Smart Q App or Trigger for this purpose. If you are interested, please check this guide where I’ve shared various methods which you can use to check if NFC is working on your Smartwatch.
Do NFC Payments Work On Smartwatches Without Smartphones?
You will initially need your smartphone to set up the NFC Payment system on your smartwatch. But, once you are done with the initial setup, you won’t need your smartphone and you will be able to make payments directly from your smartwatch without your smartphone.
Does Google Pay Have Any Transaction Limits?
Yes, Google Pay comes with restrictions on the max amount which you can pay in a single transaction. If your identity is verified, it’s set to $5000 and if your identity is not verified, it is set to $700. Also, note that some banks also independently place limits on transactions via contactless payment systems. So, I’d recommend that you contact your bank as well to know if they have set any limits.
Are NFC Payments Via Smartwatches Secure?
Yes, NFC Payments via contactless payment methods such as Fitbit Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, and Garmin Pay are very secure. These payment systems use advanced tokenization systems to ensure that your bank details including your card number are never shared with the merchant. In this way, your bank details stay private and secure.
Does Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Have Google Pay?
Since Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 is a Wear OS 3 Smartwatch, you can use Google Pay on it. If you want to use Google Pay on your Galaxy Watch 5, you will need to install the Google Wallet app on your smartphone and set it up to start using it for payments.
Does Fitbit Sense 2 Have Google Pay?
No, Google Pay is not available for Fitbit smartwatches including Fitbit Sense 2. However, it comes with Fitbit Pay which is as good as Google Pay and you can use it for contactless payments.
NFC Payment is undoubtedly the future of payment and it’s getting very popular quickly. In this guide, I’ve shared the top 10 smartwatches that come with NFC Payment support and they come with built-in NFC contactless payment systems which you can use for payments.
utilizing a smartwatch with NFC for contactless payments provides several advantages, including convenience, security, and widespread acceptance.
However, it is crucial to consider the limited compatibility, battery life implications, potential technical issues, and security concerns associated with this technology.
By weighing these pros and cons, you can make an informed decision on whether a smartwatch with NFC payment capability aligns with your lifestyle and payment needs.
I hope that you found this guide useful and if you have any questions or recommendations, please let me know in the comments.
Also, if you have any concerns about the security of these NFC payment systems or want to know how secure they are, I’d recommend you to check this guide where I’ve compared the security of major contactless payment systems such as Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay.
As a professional trainer and a gadget lover, I’ve spent a lot of money and time buying wearable activity trackers, smartwatches, and gadgets, and checking them out. My site is focused on helping you with your activity tracking and smart technology journey. I try to provide the most helpful updated content on this subject. Hopefully, you will love my blogs and be a regular around here.